Saturday, August 15, 2009

Woodstock 40 years later.....

Although I wasn't even born yet in 1969 I have a great deal of respect for Woodstock. Woodstock was my mom's generation. The year before Woodstock my sister died. The year of Woodstock my mom was stuck in an abusive relationship. She would have loved to have gone to Woodstock but because of her marriage she couldn't. The music still resonates to both of us in everyday life. I still listen to Rock'N'Roll and my mom still loves country, but at heart the actual music of Woodstock we have in common. We both love Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Black Sabbath and so many more. This has always been the common ground between mother and daughter even in our darkest times together. When my mom was an alcoholic we listened to this music together. After the darkness lifted and my mom and I got back on track in our relationship we still listened to this music. I would say that all generations from my mother's on will be impacted by the music and love of Woodstock. To my generation it was a symbol of love and peace combined with fabulous music. To my mom's generation it was a symbol of freedom. Woodstock will always live on in the hearts and minds of every generation as a part of social freedom, goodwill and peace.

No comments: